Personal Trainer Columbus Ohio Training - Debbie Reichert Fitness

   Follow Me on Pinterest 
 
  
Home
  
Personal Trainer
  
Fitness Products
  
Clean Eating Workshops
  
Free Healthy Recipes
  
Free Workouts
  
Fit & Healthy Blog
  
 
 

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Lifting weights won't make you bulky, got it?!?!

So ladies.......you think lifting weights will make you bulky??  Hmmmm.......tell me again about that unicorn you just saw while passing by the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Sarcasm much, Debbie??  I think so.......

But seriously, this is me, hanging out in my bathroom doing a selfie (cause doesn't everyone???) This image is unflexed with no special lighting. This is me at 5 foot 3 inches, post vacation at a good 125 pounds and 22% body fat.  I lift about 5 times a week for 30 to 60 minutes depending on my mood and throw in 2 hours of cardio throughout the week.  Ladies, lifting weights will not make you bulky.  Proof in pic below.


I have had this conversation recently with a lot of women who say they have a fear of "bulking up." It made me begin to think that maybe ladies get the misconception even from ME sometimes that muscles can "bulk you up" because of pictures I've posted in the past of me flexing. Here's the deal.  I just like to flex.  It's fun and cheap entertainment and I don't get out much.

See here.....me flexing.........could be construed as bulky I guess to some??


Did you know you can flex your abs?






Woah, Adam Levine, how'd you get here??  I digress......

On a serious note, I do want to discuss this common misconception in women that resistance/strength training will actually make you bulky.  The fact of the matter is that it's the overlay of extra body fat you're carrying over the muscles that makes one look "thicker" especially when starting on a new weight lifting program.  Ideally, you want to be on a program in which you will be gaining good lean muscle mass at the same time you are decreasing your body fat to a healthy percentage. This will take both strength training AND cardio.  How much you need of each is contingent on YOU! This is where having a good trainer can come in handy and help you put together a program specific to your needs.  I, for example, tend to put my clients on a very detailed lifting regimen, working 2 to 3 specific muscle groups on any given day.  I'll add in cardio bursts between sets to blast fat while building muscle.  Over time you will reach a point where you need to do less cardio to maintain your desired physique and this is because increased muscle mass = increased metabolism = more calories burned throughout the day. 

Still not sold on lifting?  Here are some additional benefits to strength training in women:

You decrease your risk for osteoporosis and arthritis.
You will reduce your risk of heart disease and diabetes.
You will reduce stress and depression, which will all around lead to a better attitude.
You will simply just be physically stronger

And this one comes right out of the textbook of Debbie..........You'll look freaking hot in your tank top and glam in your short shorts!  And you know what, after all the hard work you put into your workouts you SHOULD feel sexy and happy and confident! You deserve it!

Moral of the story? Just lift and make sure to follow me on Facebook at Fit and Healthy with Debbie Reichert!

In Good Health,
Debbie








1 comment:

  1. What a great post. You look wonderful and congrats on all your hard work. I do both weight training and cardio.

    ReplyDelete