- I've been enjoying my Greek turkey burger recipe for awhile now, but decided to switch it up tonight and go Southwestern. This was a huge hit with the family. They turned out incredibly moist and flavorful, which can sometimes be a challenge when you are working with turkey breast. So if you give this one a try, you will not be disappointed I'm sure!!
- 1.2 pounds ground turkey breast
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup white onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground red cayenne pepper
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- good sprinkle of salt and black pepper
Gently mix the ground turkey together with all of the ingredients listed. Form into 6 patties. Drizzle a nonstick skillet with extra virgin olive oil. Cook the patties on medium high heat for about 7 minutes each side or until fully cooked. Serve in a bun or bunless......your choice!!
Here is how I rolled with mine........I sauteed up some spinach with a little garlic powder, salt and pepper. I served the turkey burger on top of the spinach with some cilantro jalapeno mustard I found at Earth Fare, along with some sliced avocado. I served that alongside a quinoa black bean salad. Here is the recipe for that. It's a MUST have as well!!
Quinoa Black Bean Salad
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 cup roma tomato diced
1 large or 4 mini cucumber, diced
1 red bell petter, diced
1/4 red onion, diced
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 bunch cilantro, rinsed and finely chopped
1 avocado, diced
2 Tbsp lime juice
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
pinch of course salt and pepper and then I added a pinch of garlic powder just cuz
Cook quinoa according to package directions (I cooked it in chicken stock but you could just use water). While quinoa is cooking, dice tomato, cucumber, pepper, onion and cilantro. Once quinoa is cooked add frozen corn and peas to start the immediate cooling process for the quinoa. Add veggies, avocado and cilantro. Whisk together lime juice, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and garlic powder. Add to quinoa and veggies and place in refrigerator until chilled.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as the hubs, kids and I did.
In Good Health,