I try very hard to keep my refined sugar intake to a low but you'll see I did throw in a little bit of brown sugar. To me, the combination of apples, brown sugar and cinnamon is second to none. Try throwing some walnuts into the batter as well. I did not because my kids are not big on nuts in their muffins. That, however, would have made me even happier with this final product......the things you do for your kids, right?? Next time, I'll make a special "Mommy batch."
If you use gluten free ingredients, then this is another great GF recipe. If you've been following me for awhile then you know I've chosen to decrease the amount of wheat in me and my family's diet, so I've been making quite a bit of gluten free recipes lately. My reasoning for that are for another post, for another time. Until then, read this fabulous recipe and then use the apples (that I know you have during this prime picking season) and ENJOY!!
· 2 cups freshly ground rolled oats
· 2 teaspoons baking powder
· 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
· 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
· 1/8 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
· 2 TBSP ground flax seed
· 1/8 cup honey
· 1/4 cup plain, Greek yogurt
· 1/2 cup orange juice
· 2 lightly beaten large eggs plus one egg white
· 4 tablespoons coconut oil (microwave for about 20 seconds to liquify)
· 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
· 1 cup shredded apple (about one large apple - do not peel the apple)
Preheat oven to 350°
1. Use a food processor to process 2 cups of oats into oat flour.
2. Place oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, brown sugar and ground flax seed in a mixing bowl. Whisk to blend.
3. Lightly beat eggs in a small bowl. Add honey, yogurt, orange juice, coconut oil and vanilla. Whisk to blend and pour into bowl with dry ingredients. Stir to thoroughly blend.
4. Fold in shredded apple. Stir just until blended.
5. Line muffin pan with paper liners, or lightly grease pan and fill each muffin cup about 3/4 full.
6. Bake for 16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of muffin comes out clean.
As always, let me know if you try the recipe and PIN away!!!!
In Good Health,