Personal Trainer Columbus Ohio Training - Debbie Reichert Fitness

   Follow Me on Pinterest 
 
  
Home
  
Personal Trainer
  
Fitness Products
  
Clean Eating Workshops
  
Free Healthy Recipes
  
Free Workouts
  
Fit & Healthy Blog
  
 
 

Sunday, August 19, 2012

My sugar experiment


Over the next 2 weeks I am going to pay a little extra attention to my sugar intake.  Call it an "experiment" because I don't really like the term detox.  I will not give up my fruit, b/c I feel that the nutritional benefits I get from fruits far outweighs the natural sugars they contain.  And I just dig fruit!  However, it's still nice to see how different fruits stand up to each other, and to see that some fruits may in fact be a better choice than others for me during this 2 week timeframe.




1. Berries - Berries are, in general, the fruits lowest in sugar -- and also among the highest in antioxidants and other nutrients.

2. Summer Fruits - Melons, peaches, nectarines, and apricots are next in sugar-order.

3. Winter Fruits - Apples, pears, and citrus fruit are moderate in sugars.

4. Tropical Fruits - Pineapple, pomegranates, mangoes, bananas, and fresh figs are high in sugar (guava and papaya are lower than the others).

5. Dried Fruit - Dates, raisins, apricots, prunes, figs, and most other dried fruits are extremely high in sugar. Dried cranberries and blueberries would be lower, except that a lot of sugar is usually added to combat the tartness.


What am I trying to accomplish during this two weeks you may ask?  I don't think that I eat a whole lot of sugar as it is, but I'm not going to really know unless I track it.  I'm bad about tracking my foods as it is, and I think it's a great idea.  I tell my clients this all the time, so why am I not doing it myself more often? It's ideal for making  sure that I'm getting the proper percentages of carbs, fat and protein every day.  Especially since I work out more than the average person.  I need to make sure I am properly fueling my body, getting enough calories, and more importantly getting the right amount of calories via the right channels.  Therefore, myfitnesspal will be my faithful friend over the next two weeks.

So, this experiment is really two-fold......better track what I'm putting into my body and in particular, what I'm putting in my body from a sugar standpoint.  Am I actually consuming more sugar than I would like to be? Will it change my workouts by cutting some grams out? Will I go through a "withdrawal?"  I'll also be giving up my Coffee-mate in my coffee, as it's the one vice I've been unable to conquer, and you KNOW how I feel about artificial sweeteners.  I truly cannot pronounce most of the ingredients in this stuff.....it's time to say goodbye, just like I did to Diet Coke 8 months ago.

So, I'll follow up with y'all in two weeks.  I'm excited for this personal challenge I'm placing on myself.  I think that I'm at a very good place in my fitness journey, however, I also feel that there is always room for improvement.  Room to live an even healthier lifestyle, and feel even better and more energized.  A special thank you to Michelle's Health Zone for giving me the little initiative I needed to take on this challenge.  I've been wanting to do it for quite some time, but it will be nice to know that I won't be doing it alone, as she has gotten some peeps together for a little 2-week sugar examination!  Strength in numbers!

So, wish me luck I guess.  It's going to take a lot of dedication just to track my foods everyday, let alone strictly watch my sugars.  But I cannot preach if I do not practice what I preach, right?!

In Good Health,
Debbie




1 comment:

  1. Very cool post. I have recently increased my fruit and vegetable intake and it's nice to see the sugar comparison. I saw your blog through Pinterest. It's nice to find a blog with so many good nutrition tips.

    ReplyDelete